Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Homemade Cat Treats.


Before I get to the important part of this post, I just want to say that I have had the absolute worst luck regarding photos lately. I had a bunch of pictures from Phin's birthday, making these cat treats, him eating the cat treats, etc. on my camera. However, my memory card decided that it did not want to remember those things and forced me to reset it, which caused all of my pictures to disappear into oblivion. RIP. Now you get a cute picture of Phineas, that really has nothing to do with this post other than the fact that it features a cat, and this post is about cat treats.

Hi, my name is Allegra and I am a crazy cat lady. There are people that will frown at this fact, but that's okay. I've learned to accept this and blare it to the world proudly. Sometimes I take Phineas on walks in the front yard or share my ice cream with him. Sometimes I buy him really expensive things for his birthday and sometimes I make him tasty homemade treats. This year for his birthday I made homemade cat treats inspired by Joy the Baker. We didn't have time to make them on his actual birthday, so we cooked them up the following Saturday. Make sure you don't have any guests coming over when you make these. Or probably for a couple of days after you make them. When Fern came over after work, he didn't have very nice comments to make about how the house smelled. Phineas was really excited though! That's all that matters, right?

Homemade Crunchy Tuna Cat Treats

Ingredients
  • 1 (5 oz) can of tuna, packed in water and no salt added, drained
  • 1 cup of oat flour
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • A couple little florets of broccoli
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
  3. In a food processor, combine drained tuna, oat flour, egg, olive oil, and broccoli florets. Blend until the mixture is smooth. I don't have a food processor, so I used my Magic Bullet Blender.
  4. Roll the dough into about 1/2 teaspoon size balls and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
  5. Take a skewer and press an X into the balls to flatten them a little.
  6. Bake them for about 10-12 minutes until they are dried and brown on top. Make sure you allow them to cool before giving them to your feline friend!
  7. Place the treats in a container and store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
* Side note: If you do not have oat flour it is very easy to make! Take one cup of old-fashioned oats and grind them up in a spice grinder, coffee grinder, or even Magic Bullet until it is a very fine powder. Then you have oat flour!
* Side note 2: I've mentioned before that Phineas is not a picky eater like most cats. He eats everything. I mean EVERYTHING. He loves broccoli and it is healthy, so that is why I used it for this recipe. You could also use a tablespoon of peas or follow Joy's recipe and add a tablespoon of dried catnip.

Recipe adapted from Joy the Baker's Tuna Catnip Kitty Treats.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...