Thursday, August 22, 2013

On Puppies, Parvo, and Loss.

This wasn't an easy post for me to write, and I debated on writing it at all. Usually I try to keep things light and pretty short around here, but I felt like this needed to get out. It needed to be written down, read, and heard. For some of you that might not know, I am a HUGE animal lover. I wish that I could protect, help, and save every single animal on this earth. I belong to the Helotes Humane Society, and have fostered several cats through them. However, once I moved I stopped because it was too far for me to drive there.

On August 9, I was presented with an opportunity to help a puppy through San Antonio Pets Alive, and I couldn't say no. The little guy was going to be euthanized in about an hour, so I said that I'd take him in and foster him. When I went to pick him up from the shelter, someone had beat me to the job! Even though he received the help he needed, I felt like I couldn't leave empty handed. I had to help another animal, so I picked out a different puppy. He was covered in dirt and really scared. He was brindle colored and only six weeks old. They gave him a bath, brought him back out, and he took a giant poop on the table! Shortly after he was running around and giving out kisses.

At first Lincoln was hesitant about his new home. And Phineas was hesitant about the newcomer. That didn't last for long though! He quickly made himself at home playing with the cat toys, eating the cat food, Phineas was eating the dog food, and giving out plenty of cuddles and kisses. He was one happy pup and destined to be a foster fail. A foster fail is when the person fostering the animal adopts it, instead of adopting it to someone else.
One morning he got sick though. I thought it was just puppy throw up, so I didn't think twice about it... until he threw up again the next morning. Then he refused to eat his breakfast and only wanted to lay down. He got worse through out the day, so I took him to the vet to figure out what was going on. He tested positive for parvovirus. I had the option of leaving him there to get treatment or taking him home and giving him the treatment myself. I didn't have to think twice about it. There was no way I could just leave him there, so I asked if they would show me how to administer the treatments. Four shots in the morning and three shots at night.

He seemed like he was getting better, then he got worse, then he got better, and then he got worse. On Saturday (August 17), we were in the car on the way to get some more help, some more medicine, when he passed away. His little body just couldn't take any more suffering and any more pain. I can't stand to think how much hurt he had for the last couple days of his life. It is a terrible and cruel virus. I don't mean to preach, but please please please make sure you get your pets vaccinated! By owning a pet you are promising that animal that you will take care of them and that includes: feeding them, playing with them, loving them, and protecting them. If any of you have seen a dog pass away from parvo, then you know that it is not pretty and it is not a painless death. If you have seen any animal pass away from any disease, then you know that it is not easy for the animal or for you. Be sure to take any precautions you can in preventing your pet from getting sick. They are a part of the family!

The past few days have not been the best for me. I keep going back in my head and wondering if I could have done anything differently. Wishing that he didn't have to suffer so much in the last days of his short life. Is it something that I did wrong? Should I have let them give him the treatment? If I did, then would he still be alive? Did he know that I was trying to help him? Did he know that he was loved very much? In the end, beating myself up won't make him come back and I am trying to accept that. However, what I do know is that I am glad he was at home being cared for during his last days instead of being locked up in a cage, that I gave him the love that he deserved, and that he is missed.
FaceTime friends.
Rest in peace my sweet friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Allegra, you're such a good person. :) You remind me of the starfish parable - Thousands of starfish had washed ashore during high tide, and they got stranded. They would all surely die. A man was walking along the beach, picking up and tossing starfish back into the water when his friend asked, "What are you doing? There are so many, many starfish; it'll never make a difference." And as the man tossed one into the water, he told his friend, "It made a difference to that one."

Keep making a difference. :)

-Brynn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...