Thursday, September 6, 2012

Tomato Basil and Mozzarella Pasta Skillet.

Today I spent two hours in PetSmart. TWO HOURS. There's something wrong with me... The whole time was literally spent debating on what I should or should not buy for Phineas. I would choose a toy, walk around the store, and end up deciding against it. Then I'd find a different toy and do the same thing. This went on for two hours. TWO HOURS. Lather, rinse, repeat. Want to know what I finally decided on in the end? The original item I picked up. Go figure! I don't even want to hear it. Not a peep. Are these the beginning symptoms of becoming a cat lady?

By the time my treacherous journey was over I was starving. Before I ate a bag of Frito's, one (or four) slices of cheese, and a Reese's cup for dinner, I somehow managed to boil some water and heat a skillet. The result? The best pasta skillet you will ever taste. I mean it! I ate a whole skillet bowl of it and that still wasn't enough. You're going to read the recipe and have the urge to immediately buy all the ingredients. You're going to have the urge to start cooking the second you get home and no one will stop you. You're going to have the urge to eat it for breakfast. Okay okay... Maybe not the last one. I won't judge you if you do though. Go ahead. Really.

Tomato Basil and Fresh Mozzarella Pasta Skillet
serves 4-6

Ingredients
  • 1.5 cups of macaroni (Shells and rigatoni work, too. This is what was in my pantry.)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 onion, diced (about 1 cup)
  • 1 tblspn olive oil
  • 3 cups spinach
  • 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • About 12 slices of fresh mozzarella
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  2. In a medium pan bring water to a boil and add pasta. Cook until al dente, drain, and set aside.
  3. While the pasta is cooking, heat an oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, garlic, and onion.
  4. Let them brown slightly, then add spinach. It will seem like a lot, but it wilts.
  5. Once the spinach wilts add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
  6. When the tomatoes are slightly soft add the pasta and pour the tomato sauce over it. Thoroughly mix together.
  7. Top with the fresh mozzarella, sprinkle the basil, and lastly the parmesan.
  8. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, until the cheese is hot and bubbly.
  9. Stick a fork in and enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...