Thursday, July 12, 2012

Southwestern Stuffed Peppers.

This past week and a half has been pretty awesome! I celebrated my birthday and am still celebrating it. It's pretty much been a birthweek. I mean come on... who can celebrate the coming of their existence in one day?! Let's be realistic.

When the clock struck midnight I popped a bottle of champagne and had the opportunity to spray it all over my good friends and other party guests. Some of you might say this was a waste. I'm going to have to disagree. It was pretty much one of the most fun things ever! Until it sprayed directly in my eye. Either way you must try it! On my actual birthday I went to brunch with the family and the river with a few friends. Unfortunately it started rainining when we were at the river. I decided that it's good luck when it rains on your birthday. Kind of like weddings. I also rescued a fish tank! Some mean person at my apartment left a fish tank in the hallway complete with fish. Now they are happily safe and sound in my home :)

During the rest of the week there was a little bit of drinking for the red, white and blue. I've also been preparing for the upcoming trip to New Orleans (more birthday celebrations) and spending some alone time with the boyfriend. We even went on a sushi date!
Somehow during all of these festivities I managed to cook something. If you want to compare me to Super Woman, then I won't object. Normally I hate bell peppers. Well, maybe hate is exaggerated. I STRONGLY dislike bell peppers. Especially the green ones. I decided to go out of my comfort zone recently though and try a stuffed one. Let me tell you... it was pretty darn delicious so I decided to create my own version!
Southwestern Stuffed Bell Peppers

Ingredients:
  • 1lb ground beef (or turkey)
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
  • 1 cup onion, diced
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels
  • 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
  • 1 jalapeno, diced (optional)
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • shredded cheese for topping
  • 4 bell peppers
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Heat large frying pan over medium heat and add ground beef and taco seasoning.
  3. While the meat is cooking cut the top of the bell peppers off. Then cut in half and take out the seeds and other inards. Place them open side up in a baking dish and set aside.
  4. Once the meat has browned add onion, tomato, corn, black beans, and cilantro. Stir and let it simmer for a couple minutes.
  5. Take ground beef mixture off heat and scoop portions into the bell peppers. Stuff them as much as possible!
  6. Cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Take them out, uncover, and sprinkle each pepper liberally with cheese. Leave it uncovered and bake in the oven for another 5 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...